I am on the commitee of an organisation called Rewrite. They are running a writing competition for young people. See below for more details:
Rewrite Playwriting Competition for Young People
Theme: We are a better country than this!
Toward the hope of a better day
11 to 18 years old
18 to 21 years old
Rewrite believes that young people have the power to change the world. We believe that creative writing and theatre can tell strong stories and portray emotional journeys that can really change hearts and minds.
We’re looking for the writers of tomorrow who want to use the power of words to tell us about their lives, their dreams and hopes for the future.
Can you write a short play or monologue (no more than 7 minutes) around the theme, 'We are a better country than this' OR 'Toward the hope of a better day'?
You can interpret this any way you choose. What are the things in your life that are most important to you? Perhaps you’re concerned with safety on the streets, or how people are treated at school or in your community. Perhaps you care about what’s happening in other parts of the world.
It’s really up to you!
If you win, your play will be performed in a rehearsed reading by professional actors at the Rewrite AGM on Thursday 29th January 2009, 7pm, Oval House Theatre, South London.
The competition is open to anyone aged 11-21 living in London.
Deadline: 9th January 2009.
Please read the competition rules & guidelines. For more information, please contact Rewrite on 07709 764420 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Competition Rules & Guidelines.
1. Entries are free
2. Entries can be from individuals or groups.
3. Entrants must be aged between 11 and 21 and be residents of inner or greater London.
4. Only entries submitted in paper form, or via email will be acceptable. You can submit as many entries as you like, but each should have a separate entry form.
5. Entries should be accompanied by an entry form (attached). The entrants name or details must not appear anywhere on the play itself.
6. Entries must be submitted by 9thJanuary 2009.
7. Winners will be notified by 20th January 2009 and will be expected to attend the rehearsed reading on 29th January 2009.
8. Entries must be no more than 7 minutes in length (roughly 14 pages long or less).
9. Please note, we are unable to return submissions.
10. By entering the competition, you grant the right for Rewrite to produce the play in a rehearsed reading on 24th or 25th November 2007. After this, Rewrite will have to seek your permission to produce your work.
11. This competition is not open to any Rewrite staff or children of Rewrite staff.
12. Rewrite reserve the right not to select winners if it is deemed there is no winning entry.
Please remember you must not include your name and address anywhere on your script.
Please send completed scripts, with entry forms to:
79 Camberwell Church St
Or email to email@example.com
For further information, please call 07709 764420
For further information about Rewrite’s work, please visit: www.rewrite.org.uk